Catholic University Church
Newman University Church was constructed in the gardens beside and behind number 87 St Stephen's Green. This historic and beautiful church has been a distinctive landmark in Dublin's city centre for over 150 years.
Opened in 1856 it was initially attached to the neighbouring Catholic University and later to Harrington Street parish. Access to the church is through a Romanesque porch erected a few years after the church it self. Above the porch is a small belfry. The original bell is now in the administration block of Belfield Campus, UCD.
On leaving the porch on enters the atrium by six descending steps. This contains a number of wall plaques. The atrium leads into a kind of ante-church, which has an overhead gallery supported by arches, beams, marble columns and other slender pillars.
On the left hand side is a large Crucifix and this side also contains two recent (2004) additions - gifts of the current pastor, Very Reverend Pearse Walsh. Just beyond a door leading to the driveway beside the church is a stained glass piece in a lighted box by the Co Wicklow-born artist George Campbell (1917-1979), an expressionist in style and noted for his use of colour and manipulation of mood.
For more info, please visit the University Church website
King John's Castle, Limerick
King John's castle is a 13th century castle located on King's Island in Limerick, next to the River Shannon in the heart of medieval city. It was built between 1200 and 1210 and was repaired and extended many times in the following centuries.
The interpretative centre at the Castle contains an imaginative historical exhibition which tells the story of the Castle. Archaelogical excavations have revealed pre-Norman settlement and evidence from the traumatic siege of 1642.
The courtyard and the Castle display some of the trades and traditions of the 16th Century. The Castle offers panoramic views of Limerick City and the surrounding countryside. The sights, scenes and sounds of the Castle and its environs all combine to recreate the atmosphere of the era.
The Castle had a unique structure for its time. It was built without a keep and had high curtain walls designed to withstand enemy attacks. The curtain walls ran between a series of towers, which had various defensive uses.
For more info, please visit the King John's Castle website
St. Anne's Church, Dublin
St. Ann's Church, Dawson Street, in Dublin, Ireland, was built in the early 18th century following the establishment of the Anglican parish in 1707. In the early 21st century the church presents itself as ecumenical within the tradition of the Church of Ireland.
The building of the church in baroque style commenced in 1720, to a design by Issac Wills.The current façade dates to the 19th century. In 1907, St. Ann's was listed with five other churches as Dublin's only church buildings surviving from the 18th century.
St. Ann's original façade was never completed above the first floor. In 1868, a competition was held for a new façade, with the architectural firm of Lanyon, Lynn & Lanyon losing the commission to the Deanes, Thomas Newenham Deane and his father. The younger Deane, who had been involved with the creation of significant buildings at Oxford University, designed a neo-Romanesque front. Described by one travel guide as "amazingly ornate," the façade as it exists in the 21st century lacks some elements of Deane's original conception, most significantly the tallest tower. From an architectural perspective, this omission has been criticized as disrupting the building's flow from the rectory to the spire.
The Georgian interior was designed by Isaac Wills, influenced by churches built by Christopher Wren but with variations characteristic of Irish architecture. The church underwent a major renovation in 2009.
St. Ann's is noted for its wood carving. The carved reredos, placed within a shallow rounded apse, shares an unusual decorative feature with the reredos of the former St. Mary's in Dublin: Corinthian pilaster capitals with twin acanthus scrolls. The acanthus frieze is carved with winged angels and bishop's mitre; the segmental pediment, with festoons of flowers. The craftsman's name is unrecorded.
A distinctive woodworking and charitable feature of St. Ann's is the Bread Shelf. Since 1723, as a result of a bequest by Lord Newton of Newtown Butler, the church has made daily bread available to anyone who chooses to receive it. The bread is placed near the altar on a shelf between acanthus-carved volutes. A photograph of the Bread Shelf may be viewed online.
Victorian-era stained glass replaced the original 18th-century clear windows. Some windows commemorate people associated with the church. Three windows in the south aisle are notable for their artistic merit; these were designed by Wilhelmina Geddes of the An Túr Gloine (Tower of Glass) studio for stained-glass artists. One on the north aisle was created by Geddes with Ethel Rhind. St. Ann's is said to contain "more stained glass than any other church in Dublin
For more info, please visit the St Ann's Church website
The Unitarian Church, Dublin
The church was built and opened for public worship on Sunday 14 June 1863. Four years later Dublin's other Unitarian congregation at Eustace Street merged with St Stephen's Green to form one church.